Omni BETA Testing
Thank you for taking interest in our new release, and our BETA program.
Although you will be getting a BETA release, we do our best to ensure that the version you have is stable and reliable. In addition, we also try not to have too many unnecessary updates and patches to apply, so will only build another release if we find a significant problem. It is therefore important as a BETA tester, that you keep up to date as soon as the new builds come out (usually once a month, shortly after month end, when most the problems are found).
Pre-requisites for BETA sites:
Pre-requisites – dealers and customers
- ADSL line (or other suitably fast internet connection)
- able and willing to download the 160 MB upgrade file once a month for the duration of the BETA period.
- able and willing to apply any urgent updates, patches and scripts as they come out.
- able and willing to upload a backup of the company’s database to our FTP site for analysis (in the case of a problem being found that we cannot replicate via screenshots here).
- able and willing to keep us up to date as to what BETA version is currently being used via email
Pre-requisites – customer specific
- must have an upgrade subscription which is valid for at least another 3 months, so upgrade subs don’t expire while using a BETA version.
- need valid tele-support, if they would like to deal directly with us by phone. Being a BETA tester does not entitle you to free support.
- full priority email and tele-support is highly recommended
- must preferrably be someone who has been using the latest released version for at least 3 months, and is familiar with it.
- must have been using Omni for at least 6 months, preferably one year.
Pre-requisites – dealer specific
- must not update any of their customers to a BETA version, without prior approval from both us, and the customer of course.
- customers on BETA must be aware they are getting a BETA version
- once an approved customer is on a BETA version, you need to keep the customer current, and inform us of their current version
- try not to burn BETA copies to CD. If you have to, please mark them very clearly, so you do not use an unstable version at a later date by mistake. Always check the forum for a new build before updating a new site.
Benefits of being a BETA site
If you make a good suggestion, and the impact is low, we can usually implement the new suggestion straight away (if it does not involve database structure changes). If you wait till the final release, then make a very good suggestion, it may unfortunately have to wait for the following year’s release.
Also, if you are a site that has some obscure methods, you may find you still encounter a problem after the final stable release has gone out. At this stage, CD’s are getting shipped to stores, and it becomes a lot harder to alter things.
How to join the BETA program
The BETA version can be obtained from:
If you have a valid upgrade sub for 7.18, then just click the link to Sign Up. Once signed up, you can access the BETA for download. You will also be notified when there are updates – usually once a month till we are out of BETA.
My Dealer will be doing the upgrades, do I still need to sign up?
Yes, you still need to sign up, so that you are aware of any issues as soon as they arise. You will also be aware of what upgrades are available, and may need to apply a patch immediately, if it is an issue that will affect you.