The success or failure of a project is largely dependent on the project leaders and the tools at their disposal. Digital solutions, such as enterprise resource planning (ERP), are incredibly effective in assisting to manage a project and ensure a timely conclusion. While ERP software is important for project management, there are ways to improve project performance alongside this valuable tool.
1. Prioritise project planning
The first step to any good project is by prioritising project planning. Before you get started with the work, you need to ensure you’ve considered all possible scenarios and how you would deal with them. You need to prepare for all manner of organisational problems – from health issues and emergencies through to personality clashes and misunderstanding tasks at hand – and decide on a solutions-driven approach.
A good way to do this is to compile a list of questions outlining what you want to achieve from this project and how these goals can be met. Remember, though, that project planning is inherently about teamwork, so you need to allocate a role for every team member, outlining all relevant tasks and duties, while also considering progress tracking… but more on that later!
2. Communicate effectively
People management is a vital step in project management because, without your team, you’re not going to achieve your strategic goals. Having self-awareness is key, and understanding how you relate to other people can impact the success of the project. While you might be an incredibly organised and efficient project manager, there’s no way you’ll achieve success if you aren’t able to effectively communicate your intentions and get your team to perform as required.
Make sure you’re touching base with your team at least once a day. However, beyond communicating with your team, you need to ensure you’re communicating well with clients, which means setting up a schedule of meetings to touch base. Communication translates to accountability, which takes us to our next step.
3. Track project progress
You have to be able to identify bottlenecks and inconsistencies in your project in real-time, or you’re going to end up with a major challenge that could derail the project. This means having a system in place to track the project progress and consolidate all the team tasks in real-time. By tracking whether you’re achieving project goals, you’re able to effectively allocate resources where needed and ensure accountability.
In the first step, you assigned project roles, and in this step, you’re tracking to see whether those appointees are meeting the goals outlined. If they’re not, they can be held accountable and must take on the responsibility for getting the project back on track.
4. Keep developing your project management skills
Being a good leader means constantly learning and developing your skills. While you’ll no doubt undergo work-based project training, you need to embark on training in your own time as well. Read the relevant material and improve yourself as a person and a manager.
Remember that you’re not the first person to do this, which is why it’s worth reaching out to others who have achieved success in project management. Learn from colleagues, find a mentor and use them as a sounding board for your own ideas.
5. Make professional project reports
The various teammates will update you on their individual performance across a number of different formats. This can be problematic when you’re having to report back to the client. You want to ensure that you have software that allows for a consistent format of project reporting so that managers can compare information easily and in real-time. Without adequate project management reports, your team and project stakeholders are constantly in the dark. This is not only harmful to the project; it creates a sense of unease among the team which is detrimental to achieving goal objectives.
ERP systems for improving project performance
When it comes to meeting your project goals, ERP software is the industry-leading tool for cross-collaboration, reporting and more. It allows for the integration and automation of the day-to-day project functions, including recording and managing the project data. With ERP software, you’re enjoying a number of project-driving benefits. These include:
- Better collaboration: Rather than having teammates siloed, ERP is able to consolidate information for much more collaboration.
- Fewer errors: The automation of data input results in fewer errors related to incorrect or outdated data.
- Risk management: Every project comes with its own set of risks but these are often mitigated by ERP features such as forecasting tools.
- Increased productivity: Processes, such as calculations and data entry, are now automated which means your project team has more time to address value-add duties.
- Decrease overheads: With ERP software, you need less personnel and administrative resources, with greater visibility highlighting areas for improved cost savings.
- Improved customer relationships: Using ERP software for your project management means that your clients are enjoying improved services through increased collaboration and communication.
- Inventory tracking: You’re able to enjoy improved inventory tracking throughout your project with ERP supporting RFID tags and other barcoding systems.
- Better security: ERP can better store your data securely because it has in-built security systems including monitoring, authentication and encryption.
- Scalability: ERP allows for project expansion in that it’s able to scale up as your needs grow.
- Quality control: Ensuring quality throughout your project processes is made much simpler through ERP. There’s a reduction in data error ensuring that the quality of input data is elevated.
Why choose Omni Accounts for project management software?
If you’re considering an ERP system to improve your project performance, then it’s best to work with an industry leader. Omni Accounts provide a comprehensive ERP system to integrate and share all your project information in real-time. This means more accurate and up-to-date information so that project leaders are better informed for future planning.
Some of the features you can enjoy from Omni Accounts include:
- Data analysis
- Customer relationship management
- Tracking and visibility
If you’re looking at improving project performance, contact Omni Accounts today.